Tuesday, November 25, 2008

CD Collection Transferred!

I have been trying to do this for years!!! Today I finished transferring all my CDs onto my hard drive. I first started to accomplish this feat sometime in 2000. I have always attempted to copy the music in lossless format which preserves the cd quality exactly. For years I would get close, and then my hard drive would crash and I would start over again. Now I have a backup and everything is in WMA lossless format. I have approximately 1100 CDs, and they fit onto a 750gb drive easily. I hope in the next couple years an SD card will get up that high so I can have my whole collection on one SD card.
I still want to scan in the album art. I have every "cover" scanned in, but I would like to go through the collection and scan in the back of the CDs. I did this for my compilations, and I really like being able to look at the front and back virtually.
My next project will be to make a jukebox, however, it will probably be at least a year until I get started on it.
The sad thing about converting these to hard drive is that I do really like to look at the CDs, but they are probably pretty obsolete at this point.
Also, my dad made me two VERY NICE cd carousels which hold a combined total of 1056 CDs - Not enough to hold my whole collection, but very close. I really like going through these, but I can definitely see a time now where I'll pack up my CDs into storage bins and in some way get rid of the carousels.

Here's a picture of me and one of the carousels after it was first built - sometime prior to 2000 (1998?), can't remember exactly (too bad no digital cameras to take a date stamp).

And here's a picture of the carousels today.

No comments: